Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Canis lupis familiaris



This is Misty, my 12 year old, long haired, red, dachshund. Please do not be fooled by her sweet countenance, this 'ole girl is a bitch in every since of the word. I do not begrudge her that title. She gave birth to triplets, went through a false pregnancy AFTER being spayed (the vet said it was all psychological...in other words, she is loony!) , and only a few months ago she lost her life long companions Sage and Hunter. In addition, I think she is starting to lose her eyesight, and she has put a few pounds on her girlish figure (frankly that makes me cranky too!).

Misty has always been the loud mouthed, diva of my pack '0 pups. Ask anyone who has knocked on my door, or has crossed the threshold of my home just how loud she is. Her bark is located somewhere on the sound wave spectrum that simply reads PAINFUL , and the repetition with which she produces that horrible din is all too frequent. She has also, very recently,become food aggressive; hummm come to think of it, I am pretty darn protective of my vittles too; I suppose she comes by that little trait honestly.

Now, you are probably asking yourself, why in the heck do you love that little product of Satan? Well, heck she brings me gifts! What mommy doesn't love gifts? I have received, geckos whose conditions range from gecko jerky to very alive and squirmy. I have been the benefactor of a lovely mocking bird, and just recently, I got a fur! Granted, the fur was still attached to its owner, a purtid, petrified rat, but my goodness it is the thought that counts right?

Oh, and I can't forget her daily jaunts in the backyard to seek out the stinkiest carcass or pile of organic refuse she can locate. Once identified as truly the most disgusting square inch of land I own, she will commence her ritual of rolling in it! Ahhhhhh she is my pride and joy!

Now, I have written this in jest; don't get me wrong, every word is quite true, but despite her quirks, noxious habits and dreadful din, I love that little nightmare, uhhhh I mean dog with all my heart. God love her; she is a mess, but she is my mess, and I can't imagine my world without her.
Cheers!
Until we meet again,
Mystic

4 comments:

  1. This gave me a pretty good chuckle! I was online today and saw a little dachshund drinking from a straw out of a big gulp...made me think you and yours! lol! You know how those redheads can be! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes the "I buyed you a Pepsi, but I drinked it" dachshund. That is one of my favorite pics. Misty is a little toot, but she is a love if you have a nose clip and earplugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe. She sounds entirely capable of stealing your heart with her craziness and generosity.

    Who is the little cutie in the tub with Misty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and a great dog! And very cool you are blogging in addition to your work on the Wizard site - I have to say, as a Maine Yankee, I knew absolutely nothing about all that BBQ material - clearly I have to pay a visit to Texas and do some research - after my diet!! Cheers, steve

    ReplyDelete