Thursday, March 19, 2009

Neo Luddite


Many have described J.R.R. Tolkien, one of my literary heroes, as a Luddite. There is no doubt he expressed feelings of ludditism; in fact, his Or cs were symbolic of industry which like an evil monster was methodically swallowing the beautiful English countryside he adored. After an email I received last night, I may join the fellowship of Luddites!
Most of you know I am currently working on my Master's degree. Though I have never stopped attending school, I have not worked on a degree in earnest since 1995 when I was working on an M.B.A.. At that time, the structure and organization of the classes I attended was no different than those I experienced as an undergrad. My classes at Oxford were also face-to-face, Tutor moderated and very traditional. While I was aware of the online revolution in education, I remained fairly traditional in my delivery and receipt of education. I think it is fair to say, I have been more of an adventurer technology wise with my students than I have ever been as a student.
My current degree plan allows for all face-to-face classes IF the classes "make", achieve quota. Thus far, I have twice had to take online classes because the section I wanted failed to meet minimum registration quotas. I consider myself fairly technologically savvy, and what I don't know, I research and learn. In general, I have had very little anxiety or issue with my online classes with the exception of communication, or more accurately, the LACK of reliable communication between students and professors. One of my professors wants us to communicate strictly through Blackboard; we submit our papers via a secure avenue that confirms the receipt of the assignment. One of my instructors wants us to email our assignments. This is an issue for me since frequently he doesn't follow up with a communication of receipt. Those of you who know how type A I am, realize that this not knowing causes me great anxiety. I have also had issues with the communication between myself and fellow students when working on projects. I am often told, "Oh...I'm sorry I'm late getting back to you with the research; I don't' check my emails often." In general, I think communication face-to-face would be an issue with people like those.
Last night, I received an email from my professor proclaiming her failure to receive our group's Alignment Assignment topic, and that it was urgent that she receive it immediately. Well, for God's sake, in her defence, the topic proclamation was due two weeks ago, and I HAD SENT IT TO HER AT THAT TIME. Now, to add to my absolute panic, only one group could do any discipline/grade level. I had spent DAYS collecting, analyzing and posting the information for Math: 9, 10 and 11. The only other member of my team that had assisted on the project thus far was in Paris, and upon checking the board, ANOTHER TEAM HAD SELECTED MATH 9,10 AND 11. I called my professor's cell phone, home phone and office phone with no response. I forwarded the original email that listed our groups choice of topic, and then I sat down and cried. After all I had been through to get this project organized ,and with only one week until it was due, I was mortified that I might have to begin again. I couldn't help but think if this had been a traditional class where you sign an actual piece of paper with your topic listed, then hand it to the professor face to face with witnesses, this never would have happened.
I finally got a hold of my professor; she agreed that the fault was on her end, and since the other group who had selected the Math project turned in their request after I turned in the request for my group, our group would be allowed to proceed with our project as is.
While everything was cleared up, the anxiety this has caused is lingering. I actually submitted the wrong essay last night for another class because I was so shaken. Alas...I know this too shall pass, but this is yet another example, of why I need to become a Hobbit, live in a hole and leave this world of technology behind. Once again, I proclaim; TOLKIEN WAS A GENIUS!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I agree that Tolkein was a genius, AND that online classes are much more frustrating than any anxiety caused by having to do actual, face-to-face group work. I'm sorry that your Spring Break has been so stressful, but in the end, it will be worth it. Just keep your positive outlook, and please don't crawl into a technology free hole, that's the only way some of us get to communicate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! (HUGS!) That's just a terrible set of events. I'm glad it got sorted out, but I too am the type to linger in doubt and frustration after so much effort and so little response! Can I come with you? I'll bring the scones, jam, and tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in.. you'll never regret advancing your degrees!!!
    DOnna

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Sally, I may enter my Hobbit hole, but promise to come out to say hi!

    Liz..yeppers...scones, jam and tea sound delish!

    Thanks for the encouragement Donna...I'm not going to give up. I may go insane, but I won't give up..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I abhor Blackboard but on-line is pretty much the only option out here. I an more of a college "hobbyist" - 7 colleges, 200+ credits, still working on a Bachelors . . . . sigh . . . . it's good for the economy though, right? I figure I'll go finish up when I retire!

    ReplyDelete